Senior Platform Engineer
Jan 2023 - Present
My current Platform Engineering role involves working on projects related to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ansible and AWS.
My primary goal was to help the web and Linux teams work more efficiently and effectively by using automation and industry-standard practices, and by collaborating with other departments and developers to utilize our diverse skills and expertise to drive improvements and achieve our objectives.
- Using automation tools like Ansible and terraform to streamline the deployment process for web servers such as Apache and Nginx.
- Maintaining and integrating a Zabbix monitoring solution.
- Improving and educating on DevOps processes and advocating for new tooling.
- Maintaining a custom server deployment and inventory tool.
- Managing Cloudflare tenants and git repositories on BitBucket.
Combat Systems Engineer
Jan 2020 - Aug 2020
Over the course of three years, I held multiple IT-based roles within BAE Systems. My career with the company began with me installing network equipment onboard HMS Prince of Wales before becoming a Combat Systems engineer. In this role, I conducted trials and wrote “Body of Evidence” reports to ensure the product was safe and functional for installation. I also worked on another project, supporting the integration and trials. This included installing cabling infrastructure and clients, maintaining and administering the representative test environment, creating a solution to gather performance metrics, and supporting trial engineers to allow hosted trials to be conducted.